Google Summer of Code ideas

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 27 16:50:28 CDT 2010

Charles Davis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I intend to participate in the Google Summer of Code this year, and I
> have several ideas for Wine that I'd like to bounce off you guys to see
> what you think. Note that all my proposals are Mac OS-based (I run Mac
> OS X), so many of you will never see the results of what I'm working on.
>
> Here they are:
>
> 1. Quartz Driver. This is something a lot of Wine-on-Mac users (myself
> included) have been wanting for while now. Of course, the entire driver
> itself is a big project, so I would limit the scope to implementing a
> small piece of it--say, windowing (which shouldn't be too hard thanks to
> my new "Deobjectivizer" tool)--and then finishing what I started after
> SoC ends.

Before you start down this path take a look at the WineQuartz driver
project on Sourceforge.  Emmanuel Mallard did a lot of work on this and
I would like to revisit/assist in completing a native interface that
works well with the current versions of Wine, ala OpenOffice.org.
However, we have to either:

1.  Make this a separate project.
2.  Make sure we do not expose ObjC calling code to other platforms,
they will not react well to the code and Alexandre does not like
incorporating this into the main Wine trunk.

The second point has stopped most other efforts to build a non-X11
interface for MacOSX.

James McKenzie