poor Wine performance creating fat dialogs

Andreas Pflug pgadmin at pse-consulting.de
Fri Nov 26 06:06:32 CST 2010

I'm investigating running a commercial ERP system under Wine (only
binary available). It mostly works, but creating the main dialogs for
item, customer and such will need around 25 seconds, while running on
Wxx it takes 2-3 seconds. After that, there's no serious performance
impact working on these dialogs.

The dialogs contain a lot of controls, like 500 or so each, so I suspect
that's what makes things slow.

I'm willing to investigate this in the wine sources, if it makes sense.
So before I start I'd like to know if there are known or suspected
inefficient code regions that might cause the problem? Maybe some
win<->x11 translation tables that degrade with 1000+ windows? Or has
this been observed before, and the problem is outside of wine's scope?

Any hint appreciated.

Regards,
Andreas