Updating GSoC proposal

Jacek Caban jacek at codeweavers.com
Tue Mar 20 05:01:31 CDT 2012

On 03/20/12 10:48, Jerome Leclanche wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Jacek Caban <jacek at codeweavers.com
> <mailto:jacek at codeweavers.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     GSoC is starting this year and, if we want to have good
>     applications, we
>     need to update our proposals. Usually the most attention is directed
>     into adding new ones, while we keep obviously bad (or just bad IMO)
>     proposals on the page. I'm planning to remove following project
>     proposals:
>
>     Security - implement sandboxing
>     Theming - Implement Wine theming support
>     NTDLL - support performance registry keys
>     Winelib Aware Scons (or cmake)
>     Cleanup Winemenubuilder to support generating Application Bundles
>     on Mac
>     OS X
>     Wine-based application virtualization
>
>     If someone knows a reason to not remove them, please reply.
>

>     Cheers,
>     Jacek
>

> Why remove theming support?

I don't believe in success of such project for GSoC. We've already
rejected applications for this (at least one last year). I'd much rather
see students send applications for other proposals. That's just my
opinion, if others feel differently, we may keep it.

> It would go a long way towards excellent desktop integration.

Agreed, but that doesn't make it a good project.

Cheers,
Jacek