Mono?!?

Max TenEyck Woodbury max at mtew.isa-geek.net
Thu May 31 23:36:14 CDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 11:05 PM, Conan Kudo (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:
 > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Max TenEyck Woodbury
 > <max at mtew.isa-geek.net <mailto:max at mtew.isa-geek.net>> wrote:
 >
 >     When did WINE start requiring MONO?
 >
 >     I have a VERY strong DISLIKE for MONO and do NOT want it on my
machines.

 >     Seems to be a recent addition.  Is it possible to NOT use it? PLEASE!
 >

 > First off, what is your beef with Mono? It's a decent technology that
 > makes .NET available on non-Windows platforms.
 >
 > Secondly, the wine-mono addon is optional, I believe. You do not have to
 > install it.

My beef (as you call it, it is more an outright RAGE in fact) is
PATENTS. Mono uses Microsoft's own technology that are covered by their
STINKING patents, making any system that has them installed vulnerable
to all kinds of legal hassles if Microsoft decides to get nastier than
they already are.

And the installation request when running 'make test' does NOT mention
that you have the option of NOT installing the beast!  So it does NOT
look like it is OPTIONAL.

If it IS optional, then there should be a clear way to REMOVE it, and
while I have not looked at the situation long enough to find out how to
remove it, I did not see something as obvious as an 'uninstall-mono'
script.

The ONLY way I could trust MONO is if it had a GPL 3+ or LGPL 3+
license that had been court tested and was therefore immune to
Microsoft's legal shenanigans.  I do NOT believe any of the other FOSS
and definitely the plain OSS licenses provide the necessary protection.

And, yes, I am more than a little crazed on this subject.