RFC: Three dots or Unicode ellipsis character

Akihiro Sagawa sagawa.aki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 12:22:15 CDT 2013

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 16:45:24 +0200 (CEST), Francois Gouget wrote:
> So should we go with the flow and switch to using ellipsis characters or
> should we stick with three dots?

In most Japanese fonts, ellipsis character (U+2026) is designed like
midline horizontal ellipsis (U+22EF).
For instance, please look at 0x8163 in codepage 932 chart [1].
[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/gg638593

If we use ellipsis character (U+2026), Japanese user gets different
impression from the character.
Therefore, I prefer "three dots" style.

The reason of this behaviour is Japanese Industrial Standard, JIS X 0208.
JIS X 0208 defines 3-dot leader character. As its example glyph is
three middle dots, most font vendors designed the glyph like that.
In Unicode conversion, the character is mapped into U+2026. Thus, its
glyph is not like ellipsis.

Regards,
Akihiro Sagawa