Daemonizing wine (fix for issue #15462)

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Tue Nov 26 12:49:26 CST 2013

On 26-11-13 19:29, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>> The patch creates a daemon.err logfile in the wine server dir
>> (/tmp/.wine-XXX/YYY/), where the output of wineserver.exe,
>> services.exe, and all other background processes go.
>
> I don't think that's a good idea. In the debugging case, you want all
> the traces to go to the same place, and when displaying errors, no user
> is ever going to see them in that file. Not to mention that the log file
> is going to grow endlessly.

Ok, do you have a counter proposal? Maybe use syslog, except if some
debug flag is set? (but then how does this debug flag get into kernel32
etc?)

Note that the current situation is also a bit strange, because the
stderr of e.g. wineserver is directed to the first process it was
started by. So... AFAICS, if process A and process B start, and B causes
an error in wineserver (or services.exe or...) then the error is output
on the stderr of process A.

>> I've removed the inheritance of stdin/stdout/stderr in
>> server/process.c (that took some time to find!) because in windows,
>> either you set bInheritHandles to true with CreateProcess and you
>> inherit stdin etc too, or you set it false, and you get nothing. So
>> this patch should also increase winapi compatibility.
>
> This should be a separate patch, with test cases.

Where can I look for testcases? Should it be in kernel32/tests/process.c?

Thanks, Micha