COM tracing ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at collabora.com
Thu May 11 10:29:47 CDT 2017

Hi Michael,

On 30/03/17 21:16, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
>> 	I'd -really- love some input on how best to trace that series of COM
>> method calls on Windows itself ie. the (remote) service activation, and
>> the RPC beyond that - particularly the method names, parameters etc. of
>> the COM/OLE Office API. I've tried (so far):
>
> don't you have at least a tlb file for the culprit COM stuff? You can
> look at that with oleview; Wine implements one too should you be on Linux.

	Thanks for your help here; we ended up writing something like this:

	http://tml-blog.blogspot.com/2017/05/tracing-idispatchinvoke-calls-in-com.html

	Based on the Deviare code which can hook the IDispatch implementations
for remote COM calls and do something useful.

> You don't need Wine for that. You can write wrappers around the COM
> classes you need, easily if you have the info from the TLB.

	Of course, a more general solution for in-process COM interception
would be really ideal, but much more work I guess.

	Thanks very much for your help !

	Regards,

		Michael.

--