Arbitrary DOS device name

Zebediah Figura (she/her) zfigura at codeweavers.com
Tue Feb 1 11:14:47 CST 2022

On 2/1/22 05:28, danman at danman.eu wrote:
> On 2022-02-01 07:11, Zebediah Figura wrote:
>
>> Since you already seem to be working with the Wine tree, would you
>> mind applying this patch, rerunning the installer, and trying the
>> native drivers? I'd be interested to see how well they work.
>>

> Thank you, I'll happily try.
>
> I've applied the patch, copied the exe to system32 but there seems to be
> some problem:
>
> $ wine ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/dpinst64.exe
> 0009:err:module:__wine_process_init
> L"C:\\windows\\system32\\dpinst64.exe" not found

That's because "wine" is symlinked to 32-bit wine, which redirects
system32 to syswow64. "wine64" will work.

Note though that dpinst needs to be called with specific arguments,
which is part of the reason I asked to rerun the installer.

One other thing I forgot to mention—you'll need to override dpinst64.exe
as "builtin,native", since the default for the main EXE is
native,builtin when loaded with an exact path.