Arbitrary DOS device name

danman at danman.eu danman at danman.eu
Tue Feb 1 11:39:31 CST 2022

On 2022-02-01 18:14, Zebediah Figura (she/her) wrote:

> That's because "wine" is symlinked to 32-bit wine, which redirects
> system32 to syswow64. "wine64" will work.

The result is the same with wine64

$ wine64 ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/dpinst64.exe
0009:err:module:__wine_process_init
L"C:\\windows\\system32\\dpinst64.exe" not found

> Note though that dpinst needs to be called with specific arguments,
> which is part of the reason I asked to rerun the installer.

I rerun the installer but nothing has changed.

> One other thing I forgot to mention—you'll need to override
> dpinst64.exe as "builtin,native", since the default for the main EXE
> is native,builtin when loaded with an exact path.

How do I do this? And more generally, how do I correctly install the
compiled binary?
I just copied the exe to system32 as you can see above but I cannot run
make install because I am using wine from distribution install (apt
get).
I also tried to install wine from sources in a VM with fresh install of
ubuntu but there I cannot even start wine. See attached log file.
I tried latest master and wine-6.23.

Thank you.