Red Alert under WINE

Matt Ng bgc_fan at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 10:46:01 CDT 2001

Winehq would be your best bet. There's a CodeWeavers preview that looks
like it's based on the 20010305 build, so that's a little recent (I
should try it myself, but the server seems a little busy right now).
One thing though, they did change the configuration file recently, but your
old one should be imported easily. Personally, I'm not really a hacker by
any means so I usually get the rpm. I imagine compiling it yourself would
be better if you're inclined.

I imagine the Soundblaster Live! would be
easier. I haven't installed either, but you can look at Deja News to view
some archives on setting up the SBLive! card... it pops up every now and
then. Or do a search on soundblaster+live+linux on Google. Personally,
I'm not sure what I'm using (OSS or ALSA)  because I'm just manually
adding the sound modules on my system.
If you want to try doing it manually, check what modules are loaded
(/sbin/lsmod), to make sure your sound module isn't already installed.
For me, I get the following (relevent lines):
Module                  Size  Used by
sb                     33652   1
uart401                 5968   1  [sb]
sound                  57272   0  [sb uart401]
soundcore               2372   6  [sb sound]
soundlow                 300   0  [sound]
You can try using the sb module (but from what I understand you need the
emu10k1 module).
Anyway, personally I use the following:
/sbin/modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
It's a bit of a hack, but hopefully that might lead you somewhere useful.
^_^

BTW What kind of video card do you have? I was using a generic ATI
(4 MB) and Red Alert ran pretty slowly (also a Pentium computer),
but when I upgraded to a Voodoo3, the game was pretty nice.