OK, what's the deal with the display, anyway ?

Nix N. Nix nix at go-nix.ca
Thu Apr 26 03:05:12 CDT 2001

Does anyone have a consistent way to set the display for wine programs
to /anything/ (meaning something other than :0.0)?  I have done the
followings:
ssh to the box I want to run the wine app from.
(As a result, DISPLAY was set to "tux:10.0")
I tried running
wine ./notepad.exe
from the Windows directory.  This gave me the following:

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
err:seh:UnhandledExceptionFilter Couldn't start debugger
(debugger/winedbg 134623984 32) (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
err:seh:EXC_DefaultHandling Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0
addr 0x400cd598

It looks like it's trying to open :0.0 and, of course, it gets refused.
Shouldn't it be trying to open tux:10.0 ?

Now, interestingly, if I walk over to "tux" and I log in, then walk back
to my open ssh session and I re-type
wine ./notepad.exe
It starts building font metrics as if I had run it for the first time,
then notepad shows up.

Why do I have to be logged in on :0.0 for wine to work on any other
display ?  I'd like to be able to simply set the DISPLAY (which I don't
have to, since ssh does it for me) and run
wine ./notepad.exe
without having to actually walk up to the machine (tux) and log in.
Every other X app (xclock, rxvt, etc.) works over ssh, and connects to
the correct display, except wine.

But wait, there's more !  Once, I managed to get wine to work properly
by editing my ~/.wine/config and adding
"Display" = "tux:10.0" to the [x11drv] section.  This didn't work this
time, since I got the above error message again.

Please, I'd really appreciate a consistent solution to this problem
since it has been plaguing me for some time.

Thanks