Client protocol error:(nil): lseek: Illegal seek

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Tue Jun 19 12:41:19 CDT 2001

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Devin Titcomb wrote:

> wine --debugmsg
> gives me regardless of what file i use
>
> Client protocol error:(nil): lseek: Illegal seek

Well, how about strace -o logfile -f

I would like to see where fd 4 comes from that wine thinks it can be
lseek'd (lsought?) when it can't.  Which kernel, BTW, though I am sure
lseek has been supported in some way from near the begining.  Hmmm, we
are using _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64 now (in include/config.h).  I had trouble
with that with mmap, glibc-2.1.3, and kernel 2.4.5 for a while (fixed
now in the CVS)...If you are desperate you could recompile (everything)
with that ripped out.

I was going to say before I went off on lseeks and offsets that
"protocol error" is _usually_ a mismatch of wine and wineserver
versions, either a wineserver binary installed by an old package earlier
in the path than /usr/local/bin, or a wineserver hangover from an old
wine job that didn't finish.

Usually.

Lawson
---cut---