experience report: cups, wordview and printing -- GREAT

Ian Pilcher ian.pilcher at home.com
Fri May 18 14:20:22 CDT 2001

Moritz Moeller-Herrmann wrote:

> I have one little problem though. Ever since I added the [afmdirs], the
> umlauts (diphtongs) üöä and other special characters do not occupy any
> space in my text. böse would become bse with an ö under the s character.
> This happens on the screen as well as in the postscript output. Is there
> some bug in the font handling?

Many.  :-)

Currently, the PostScript driver gets Unicode strings from the
application
and just converts them to 8-bit character strings.  Any characters that
aren't in Microsoft's "ANSI" character set will get dropped.  Mismatches
between the ISO encodings used by the X server and the Microsoft "ANSI"
encoding could cause more problems.  All in all, it's a mess.

I'm working on getting the PostScript driver Unicode-enabled.  This may
or may not help your situation, depending on the Unicode/ASCII status of
the code path between your application and the driver.

Frankly, I'm not sure why loading the PostScript metrics is affecting
your display.  I just don't understand the way that the two interact.