Excessive redraw in Lotus Notes with Wine 20011108

Toby Haynes thaynes at ca.ibm.com
Tue Nov 13 09:59:31 CST 2001

I've just compiled up Wine 20011108 and given it a little testing. QuickTime
installer works fine and QuickTime player comes up, although it wants to be
fullscreen most of the time (something to do with strange mouse click handling
I think). SameTime installer runs (at least for version 1.5) although I can't
get the actual program to start (Unhandled exception).

Lotus Notes 5.0.4 also appears to run fine with this build (I couldn't reply to
messages with the October WINE release) but there is one headache-inducing
problem. When composing a message or editing a document, the screen redraws for
every letter. It does this pretty quickly but the effect is that the screen
flashes as I type. It's bad enough that I type with my eyes closed to avoid
looking at the screen and edit any mistakes I make at the end. It's not a
problem at other times such as reading messages or browsing databases - only
editing seems to suffer from this.

Setting double-buffer visuals doesn't seem to help. Managed or desktop
configurations both suffer from this.

Does anyone have any clues as to settings to tweak to minimise/stop this
happening? I'd rather not go back to 20010326 (my stable backup build) but I
will if I can't solve this problem.

Thanks,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do