Tried a different tack ....

Phil Stracchino alaric at babcom.com
Sat Oct 6 14:44:24 CDT 2001

On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 09:48:54AM +0200, eric pouech wrote:
> > err:mmsys:MMDRV_InitHardcoded You didn't setup properly the config file
> > for the Wine multimedia modules.
> > Will use the hard-coded setup, but this will disappear soon.
> > Please add a WinMM section to your Wine config file.

> mainly, the errors you've got deal with improper configuration of wine
> using the default config files (in documentation/sample) would help
> in this area

My config is actually almost to the sample config that wine originally
installed for me.  I've changed very little.  The principal differences
are in additional paths and drives, and opting for managed windows.  Why
the WinMM section vanished, I don't know; I've recopied the WinMM section
from the sample, but wine still complains that it's not properly set up.

Funny thing is, I was running Wine on this same machine about five years
ago, and at the time, I never had all this trouble; it Just Worked.  I had
a different video card then, though, and I was using XFree86, not AccelX.
(I'm running AccelX because I've found XFree86's support for the Matrox
Millennium II at 1600x1200 sucks.)

Now I just tweaked some of the x11drv settings again, and I think I'm
getting closer ....  I set both "managed" and "desktop" to N, turned off
all X extensions, and set screen depth to 8.  I've now tried all rational
combinations of "Managed" and "Desktop" settings, XShm on and off,
DesktopDoubleBuffered on and off, PrivateColorMap on and off, and I still
have audio but no video, and the following runtime messages:

babylon5:alaric:~:36 $ wine --debugmsg fixme-font,fixme-keyboard
d:\\install.exe
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  73

This leaves the following processes running:

11897 ?        S      0:00 wineserver
12048 pts/4    S      0:00 wine --debugmsg fixme-font,fixme-keyboard d:\install.exe
12049 pts/4    S      0:00 wine --debugmsg fixme-font,fixme-keyboard d:\install.exe
12050 pts/4    S      0:00 wine --debugmsg fixme-font,fixme-keyboard d:\install.exe

I tried copying over a couple of standard Windows programs (sol.exe and
winmine.exe) and they both yield the following result:

babylon5:alaric:~:54 $ wine --debugmsg fixme-font,fixme-keyboard
c:\\windows\\sol.exe
Building font metrics. This may take some time...
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x40107f48 "syslevel.c:
Win16Mutex" wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=008f
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x40106324 "rtl.c: peb_lock"
wait timed out, retrying (60 sec) fs=008f
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  14
babylon5:alaric:~:55 $ err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section
0x40ab6d44 "x11drv_main.c: X11DRV_CritSection" wait timed out, retrying
(60 sec) fs=01c7

this leaves the following processes:

12337 ?        S      0:00 wineserver
12338 pts/4    S      0:01 wine --debugmsg fixme-font,fixme-keyboard c:\windows\sol.exe
12339 pts/4    S      0:00 wine --debugmsg fixme-font,fixme-keyboard c:\windows\sol.exe

--
  *********  Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk.  *********
  phil stracchino   ::   alaric at babcom.com   ::   halmayne at sourceforge.net
    unix ronin     ::::   renaissance man   ::::   mystic zen biker geek
     2000 CBR929RR, 1991 VFR750F3 (foully murdered), 1986 VF500F (sold)
       Linux Now! ...because friends don't let friends use Microsoft.