Borland's bcc55 linker...

William Rayer noone at nospam.com
Tue Sep 11 15:32:53 CDT 2001

lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote in message
<20010910.162847.134636632.0.lawson_whitney at juno.com>...
>On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, William Rayer wrote:
>

>> J.K. wrote in message <3B9D315B.8010107 at whoknowswhere.net>...
>> >Sorry , i am new to the group, i will try to look it  up, but is there
>> >anybody who can recommend developing Windows applications under
>> >Wine or should I better forget about it for now ?
>>
>> I'm also new here, but I would like to know the answer to this
>> question.
>>
>> In a while (12 months) I may have to port a large
>> application to Linux from Windows. I don't know if it's easier to
>> use Wine, or whether to rewrite the GUI parts of the app in a
>> common form.
>>
>> Bill
>> lingolanguage <at> hotmail <dot> com
>>
>If you have the source, look into winemaker.  If you haven't the source,
>how in the name of 13 basketsful of Devils are you going to port the app
>anyway?  Throw it out and start over.
>
>Wine is not just a program to load and execute windows binaries.  Mostly
>it is a library with which you can compile and run source programs that
>use the windows API using the native Linux Gnu toolchain.  Winemaker
>knows better than I how to do it.

I have the source. Sorry if my posting was unclear. By "port" I meant
"modify the source code in such a way that it will compile and run under
a new operating system, while keeping it working on the original platform".

I am ignorant about Wine, though I have experience porting DOS and
OS2 to Windows. Is the idea behind Wine that it is a Windows
emulation library for GNU Linux? Do I link to the Wine .libs instead of
the Windows .libs (which obviously could not work under Unix).
If so, and if it works, it could be a very useful product.

Regards
Bill Rayer
lingolanguage <at> hotmail <dot> com