Using Windows XP dll's as overrides

Marco Baciarello aside at mail.com
Thu Aug 29 09:30:13 CDT 2002

Hi,

I started using Wine (v. 20020804, compiled from tarball using
/tools/wineinstall) only a few days ago, and right now I'm trying to use
simple programs such as mIRC or WinMX 3.22.

I read FranksWorld.net's guide on how to make the latter work with
Windows 9x dll's, and it worked like a charm. For all those interested,
you can find it here:

http://franksworld.net/wine/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=113&page=1

Next, I tried to have Wine use dll's I copied from my Windows XP
installation (if I can use those, I won't have to bother my win98
friends with dll requests anymore :) )... Well, it was a disaster! The
shell instance I run wine from gets into some sort of loop and fills
with dll-related error messages...

I copied all dll's described as "probably working" or better on
WineHQ.org to their respective fake Wine directories: those from \system
into /system, and \system32 dll's into /system32. I added this last path
to Wine config using "System32" = "C:\\Windows\\System32". Then, I set
all dll's override to "native, builtin" in the [Override] section. I
then tried to have Wine emulate WinXP by default, but I couldn't find
the config value anymore... And the command line argument has
disappeared, either...

Only after some time did I notice that Frank's World suggests you use
Win 9x dll's at all times... So my question is: does anyone know if my
Wine version (20020804) only supports 9x ovverride? I'm asking here
because I couldn't find that kind of info on the site... And in case it
supports Win 2K/XP, what did I do wrong?

Thanks a lot for the info,

Marco