Is wine *always* mapping threads onto processes? (Was: Re: multiple instances . . . )

Frank Joerdens frank at joerdens.de
Wed Sep 11 03:30:37 CDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 04:59:35AM +0200, Sylvain Petreolle wrote:
> it's probably a unique instance of the app with 5 threads in it.
> each windows thread matches a unix-like process.

Is that the general way wine translates windows threads, mapping them
onto processes? Would that really be a good idea? Usually the argument
goes that designing an app in a multithreaded rather than multiprocess
fashion is better, more resource friendly, albeit harder to do (e.g.
because inter-thread communication is much easier to do than
inter-process communication).

In my particular case, if the application were to spawn a few more
threads, I would run out of physical memory pretty quick, with each
one of those threads/processes consuming 32 megs.

Regards, Frank