Wine unable to open display.

omsai sai at satx.rr.com
Sun May 18 10:04:00 CDT 2003

On Sunday 18 May 2003 11:22 am, Rob Hughes wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 09:37, Gil Katz wrote:
> > As it says in the README file it is not recommended to install wine in
> > the way you did
> > To install wine you have to run /tools/wineinstall as a regular user,
> > after you do that check if your problems persist.
> > Cheers
> >
> > Gil Katz
> > Mercury Interactive.
> > Tel : 972-3-5399799
> > UIN : 1538854
> >
> > =========================================================================
> >==============================================
>
> Everyone keep saying this, but every time I try to run wineinstall, I
> get errors about missing scripts that I haven't been able to figure out.
>
> ./configure: line 88: conf2239.sh: No such file or directory
> ./configure: line 89: conf2239.sh: No such file or directory
> chmod: failed to get attributes of `conf2239.sh': No such file or
> directory
> ./configure: line 201: conf2239.file: No such file or directory
>
> Running ./configure, etc., etc. always works. I've looked at the
> winetools script, and there's nothing really special about it that I can
> see. Why is this the preferred method? Anyone have any ideas about these
> errors? Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob

I am not so sure but this is what I got yesterday trying to run wineinstall
script...

/usr/local/src/wine-20030508] $./tools/wineinstall
 WINE Installer v0.74

 Running configure...

 ./configure: line 88: conf4583.sh: Permission denied
 ./configure: line 89: conf4583.sh: Permission denied
 chmod: failed to get attributes of `conf4583.sh': No such file or directory
 ./configure: line 201: conf4583.file: Permission denied
 ./configure: line 949: config.log: Permission denied

 Configure failed, aborting install.

I changed the permissiions on the( chown user:group username:username)
wine-20030508 directory so that the user owns the directory and am able to
bypass the above problem.

HTH,
Sai.