[Wine]fonts - newbie squared

David L. Smith smithfamily at oswego.net
Tue Dec 7 12:30:01 CST 2004

	Background:
I run an NT 4.0 installation that also boots to my primary Linux (Red Hat 9)
sitting on a partition in a second drive. Earlier, after installing Red Hat
9, I tried to install wine, but it Had Problems, even when I tried some of
the solutions. So I waited. Recently, I tried to install an updated version
of wine using an rpm, so I tried to unstall the old stuff. Wouldn't
uninstall, and the rpm wouldn't install. So I deleted as much as I could
figure out was there, verified that the rpm still wouldn't install (I assume
it is on a database somewhere), downloaded the tarball for wine 20041201 and
tried to install that. Worked. But did I add bugs?

	The problem:
Fonts stink. Menu fonts stink. More specifically, NotePad fonts stunk. Looks
like a billboard through a drenched windshield with the wipers off.

	conf file
the conf file has this:
[fonts]
"Default" = "-adobe-helvetica-"
"DefaultFixed" = "fixed"
"DefaultSerif" = "-adobe-times-"
"DefaultSansSerif" = "-adobe-helvetica-"

[FontDirs]
"dir1" = "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"
"dir4" = "/home/david/wine-20041201/fonts/"
That last, btw, enabled a few more fonts in the Notepad menu, but they
continued ugly, but not as much.

	Other tries:
 I tried running "fnt2bdf --help" by going into the wine-20041201 folder, but
"Corrupt or invalid file." was its answer.

	Further interesting facts:
When I ssh notepad from my Mandrake laptop, I have the same problem, but when
I run it on the laptop directly, there is no problem.

	Questions:
1. Back to my earlier question. Did I add bugs by possibly not cleaning out
the old installation?

2. Is there a make file of some sort that goes with the source code of
fnt2bdf?

3+. Is this perhaps a problem in Red Hat 9, or X windows, or KDE? KDE fonts
look fine. If KDE is fine, can I assume that RH9 is also? How do I test X
windows fonts to see if the problem is there.

4. Can I add ntfs directories into the FontDirs? or would it try to write to
file?

5. What additional facts should I supply?

6. What obvious thing am I missing? <sigh>

--
blessings,
David L. Smith