[Wine]Registry issues

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Fri Sep 3 21:42:40 CDT 2004

Note: There is no guarantee to the accuracy of the information below.
Use at your own risk.  The author takes no responsibility for any
problems, corruption, or catastrophies, among other results, caused by
these statements.

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 05:13:22PM +0300, Kyryll Mirnenko wrote:
> > Are you using the NTFS filesystem? Are you making the filesystem
> > writeable by Linux? Is that really a good idea?
>
> No, I'm on FreeBSD5.2.1, no NTFS-writable driver for it, but I did export
> the alive XP SP2 installation to UFS2/FFS. Cold it be that the problem is
> system case-sensitively (%SystemRoot%/system32/config/* are all low-case)?
> Permissions are OK, I've even tried it for root.

FreeBSD may or may not have a couple problems not found on Linux.
That's issue one.  Number two, case sensitivity is almost definately an
issue.  For example, loads of scripts and programs use paths like
C:\Windows, c:\windows, or C:\WINDOWS for the win9x home directory (when
not using the environment vars), and that can be really confusing.  In
9x/FAT, the default install dir is C:\WINDOWS, yet with the correct
shell/explorer options, in 9x, it appears as a folder called 'windows'.

> I'll try some simple debugging next week to find the truth...
>
> > ??? Most of us (at least I think it is most of us) do not use a real
> > Windows partition with Wine. I certainly have not done so for years, and
> > I don't notice any problems with file parsing. There are plenty of other
> > places in Wine that need optimization long before registry file parsing,
> > at least IMO.

Firstly, XP SP2 had major updates that broke Windows programs, so make
sure that's not an issue.  Furthermore, IIRC, 9x support is best, and
ME/XP/etc had modifications and complications in relation to the 9x
regestries, layouts, etc. etc. etc.

> Dealing with mmap() issue (or making FBSD developers deal with their kernel)
> is higher priority :) My wine is Gerald Pfeifer's May version port

Did you look at exactly what changes were made in the port?  Maybe
that's an issue.  And would a current wine CVS, or say, the August
release, compile on FreeBSD?