[Wine] .NET Framework 2.0

Christoph Schmid chris at schlagmichtod.de
Sun Dec 4 05:22:15 CST 2005

well, i never tried this.
and i will never try running proprietary M$-stuff on an open operating
system.

That would be like letting the whitehose guard by Al'quaida.

mono makes progress.
windwos forms are implemented fully-managed. which is highly portable.
And IMHO the right way if using a Intermediate-code-model like dotnet
does.

I think console-applications are easier because you need no winforms.

windows.forms is not a complete toolkit... it uses quite some
windows-api-stuff to do the drawing which is a logical break in the
whole concept of dotnet IMHO and makes it more difficult to run it on
wine or port it at all.
(i suggest that is just the reason why M$ made it this way)

monodevelop is not really good at the moment, that is correct.

But That VisualStudio doesn't work is just what is expected from this
software.
Sharpdevelop also is not really portable.

But both of this just indicates that they do make too much non-dotnet
stuff.
Unfortuantely if you want to do typical winforms "klick klick, get a
auto-codegenerated-gui" - development stuff there is no real
implementation availlable in the linux world right now.
Monodevelop will get a GUI designer... but at first the mono-people
wants to finish winforms and that stuff.
(there are only 4 main-developers paid by novell in mono at all, the
rest are volunteers, so its no surprise that this takes time)

In the meantime it is suggested for those who want to use
dotnet-technology in linux, to use Glade and the GTK-toolkit for
GUI-design.

ok, enough off-topic.
The point is, considering the amount of things tied to windows-api in
dotnet i suggest it will take quite some time and effort to get this
running. especially the 2.0 version.

well...
No surprise to me. M$ was never known to create things that way that
they are portable to non-windows-platforms.
(why should they? there is only windows in the world...isn't it?) ;)

greetings,
Chris.