[Wine]Re: Problems with Diablo II: Can install, but not play

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Feb 24 11:39:23 CST 2005

Adam Aube wrote:
> Jonathan Wilson wrote:
>
>>Diablo II uses Securom copy protection.
>>Unless something has changed recently, WINE does not support games with
>>Securom copy protection (hence the suggestion to use a crack).
>
> I have seen references to people running Diablo II under Wine without using
> a crack, though no details were posted. Then again, it's possible that
> those people were mistaken.
>
> I will look into trying a crack to get the program to work. But I would
> still prefer to find a solution that doesn't require a crack.
>
> Adam

Well, I'm sorry to say, but at the present time, the first and simplest
"solution that doesn't require a crack" would be to boot into Windows
and play it there.

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

> Diablo II uses Securom copy protection.
> Unless something has changed recently, WINE does not support games with Securom copy protection (hence the suggestion to use a crack).

Therefore, until such time as WINE does in fact support games with this
protection scheme, this game will not work uncracked (since the primary
or secondary purpose of a crack is to disable the copy protection).

Alternatively, you might consider Cedega, which may support this
protection scheme and would allow you to play the game without
modification. However Cedega is not free (you must pay for it), and may
furthermore not run the game itself (check their database to see if
Diablo 2 is known to run/supported).

As another alternative, you can try random or targeted native Windows
dlls in place of Wine dlls; I have no idea how copy protection is
bypassed/authenticated in Windows, but it seems like there must be a dll
(or more than one) involved somewhere. However, this is a lot of work
(determining if one or more dlls are involved, which one(s), and
reconfiguring Wine to use it, assuming it is a dll that can be replaced
in Wine, which many dlls can't). Furthermore, it's hard to imagine that
you would find using Windows dlls somehow acceptable if using a crack is
not.

Naturally you have every right to prefer not to use a no-cd crack, but
unfortunately, you apparently can't have it both ways (preferring to
play Diablo 2 under Wine, and also preferring to do so without a crack)
at this time.

HTH,

Holly