[Wine]Re: Multiple instances of wine

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu May 5 10:36:35 CDT 2005

Derek Harding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere else:
>
> I have an app which runs OK in one instance from its startup directory -
> it uses mfc32.dll from the startup directory.
> I have copied the directory contents and, of course, changed the
> directory and app name. When I try to run a second instance, it fails.
> Whichever directory I use first runs OK and the other fails - not very
> informatively: "Unhandled exception (thread 000b)"
>
> Is this a feature of wine - if not, what should I be doing.
>
> Ultimately I want to run three separate, different apps and three
> instances of an identical app.

In general, that works fine. Running multiple apps and multiple
instances of the same app has worked for many years in Wine (I have done
it many times). And there is no need make another copy of the
application directory to do it. I hope you don't mean you are somehow
attempting to copy the entire C: drive or Wine binaries.

So there is apparently something that the particular app you are using
is doing that prevents this. Can you run multiple instances of it under
Windows?