[Wine] New to Wine

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Oct 22 06:55:49 CDT 2005

Why do you answer in private mail?
I put a CC to wine-user on my reply...

    Robert> I am new to Wine and recently tried to get an application to run
    Robert> under Wine. I was able to get the application to work by copying
    Robert> a working Program Files folder to the .wine directory. There
    Robert> were two (really 3) problems.
    >>
    Robert> 1) Install Shield failed to work, I gather this is a common
    >>  You're using an old version of wine.  Major improvemnts with regard
    >> to IS have been achieved in the last months.
    >>
    Robert> I'm using version 200509030 which is the latest version for
    Robert> Slackware at winehq.

Then it's supposed to work and the failing application should be added to
the wine installation  conquest.

    Robert> problem 2) The App uses a Rainbow Technologies hardware lock.
    >>  Read in the archives what was said about Wine being a users space
    >> program, unable to run custom windows kernel space drives.
    >>

    Robert> I understood that by running as root, although not recommenced,
    Robert> it is possible to access the hardware directly.

Direct hardware access is only initialted by win95 programs. Newer program
use a driver for that.

    Robert> 3) Install Shield for the hardware lock drivers failed.
    >>  There are some parts of advapi (involved in installing and running
    >> these drives) not fully implemented.
    >>
    Robert> My question is there any resource which can assist resolving the
    Robert> Install Shield issues and getting the hardware lock to work?  --
    >>  Find small downloadable application showing that error, and post a
    >> pointer to those applications, a receipt how to reproduce the error
    >> and an good error report. Perhaps somebody picks up the problem. Look
    >> also in the bug data base.
    >>
    >> Bye
    >>

    Robert> Thanks for the information. I check further.

The first step is to post a source for download of the application, a
description of the error and a way how to get to that error.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de