[Wine] New to Wine

Robert Steinmetz rob at steinmetznet.com
Sun Oct 23 14:27:48 CDT 2005

Uwe Bonnes wrote:

>>>>>>"Robert" == Robert Steinmetz <rob at steinmetznet.com> writes:
>>>>>>

>    Robert> Uwe Bonnes wrote:
>    >>>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Steinmetz <rob at steinmetznet.com> writes:
>
>Why do you answer in private mail?
>I put a CC to wine-user on my reply...

My error I assumed a reply would go to the list.

>    Robert> I am new to Wine and recently tried to get an application to run
>    Robert> under Wine. I was able to get the application to work by copying
>    Robert> a working Program Files folder to the .wine directory. There
>    Robert> were two (really 3) problems.
>    >>
>    Robert> 1) Install Shield failed to work, I gather this is a common
>    >>  You're using an old version of wine.  Major improvemnts with regard
>    >> to IS have been achieved in the last months.
>    >>
>    Robert> I'm using version 200509030 which is the latest version for
>    Robert> Slackware at winehq.
>
>Then it's supposed to work and the failing application should be added to
>the wine installation  conquest.

The Application is Arris, it is a CAD package and in available for
download from www.Arriscad..com.
How do I add it to Wine Conquest?

>    Robert> problem 2) The App uses a Rainbow Technologies hardware lock.
>    >>  Read in the archives what was said about Wine being a users space
>    >> program, unable to run custom windows kernel space drives.
>    >>
>    >>
>    Robert> I understood that by running as root, although not recommenced,
>    Robert> it is possible to access the hardware directly.
>
>Direct hardware access is only initialted by win95 programs. Newer program
>use a driver for that.

This program will work under Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP, I'm not sure how
the hardware lock driver  is implemented. If the driver installed, might
it be possible to read the hardware directly? There are several
authorization option including a parallel port lock, USB lock and a
software lock. I think I have or can get a sample of each.

>    Robert> 3) Install Shield for the hardware lock drivers failed.
>    >>  There are some parts of advapi (involved in installing and running
>    >> these drives) not fully implemented.
>    >>
>    Robert> My question is there any resource which can assist resolving the
>    Robert> Install Shield issues and getting the hardware lock to work?  --
>    >>  Find small downloadable application showing that error, and post a
>    >> pointer to those applications, a receipt how to reproduce the error
>    >> and an good error report. Perhaps somebody picks up the problem. Look
>    >> also in the bug data base.
>    >>
>    >> Bye
>    >>
>    >>
>    Robert> Thanks for the information. I check further.
>
>The first step is to post a source for download of the application, a
>description of the error and a way how to get to that error.

Download from  www.arriscad.com/support

To recreate the error simply unzip to C:\Download (or any other
directory) and try to install it (run setup.exe). the errors are obvious.

I will post a log of the console error messages as soon as I get back to
that machine.

>Bye

Thanks.