[Wine] KPI Games

Ron Jensen wino at jentronics.com
Mon Oct 31 16:32:32 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 20:18 +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Knowledge Probe Inc. makes some very nice math and word puzzle games. These
> worked a while back in WINE but not recently. (A lot of that going around,
> even now going to beta!).
>
> I do not have their URL handy. They all fail with unregestered objects.
> Problematic in the past but not fatal was their trying to check for new games
> on line. I have never had such work with WINE.

You don't give much info to go on, so I googled and found a web site
[1].  I picked a free game at random [2], downloaded it and tried
installing it into a freshly created with "wineprefixcreate" .wine
folder.

The game installed without a problem (fixme:'s are not problems).  When
I tried to run the game wine presented a dialog that said I needed
Mozilla ActiveX controls and offered to download & install them.  The
download worked, however the install _FAILED_ .

I found a web site [3] with troubleshooting tips.  It suggested I was
missing two dlls, MSVCP60.DLL and MSVCRT.DLL.  I downloaded the zip file
[4] and unzipped it into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system .

Reran the game, wine presented the same dialog about ActiveX.  This time
it downloaded & installed properly.  The game started, ran and played.

Score one for 0.9 wine.

[1] http://www.kprobe.com/kprobe/index.htm
[2] http://www.kprobe.com/kprobe/Downloads/SetupXMasMath.exe
[3] http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/troubleshooting.htm