[Wine] wine not initializing correctly?

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Fri Dec 15 11:05:26 CST 2006

I installed wine using the fc5 repositories.

# wine --version
Wine 0.9.24

I then try to use winecfg and get:

# winecfg
wine: creating configuration directory '/root/.wine'...
Failed to open the service control manager.

It hangs here forever.  However, it does create a wine directory with random extension:
e.g. .wine-SMvQR6

Everytime I run the winecfg command, I get another directory with a different random extension.  I thought that if I ran this as root, it would create a global directory so that any package installed would be available for any user, but .. I can't  even get winecfg to work.

What am I doing wrong?

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins