[Wine] Re: How come wine doesn't improve?

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Jun 17 11:13:41 CDT 2006

Tony Pursell wrote:

> However, I get the impression that games get a lot more attention and
> excite the devlopers more than my boring business apps.  I can't
> complain.  Except for the contributions of Codeweavers, all the
> developers are volunteers and we cannot (must not) make them feel
> obliged to sort out our specific problems.

I rarely see patches for games coming from a Codeweavers developer, and
they supply the majority of patches. They concentrate on office apps,
because they are trying to sell their CrossOver Office product, which is
aimed at running office apps. I notice on the list of supported apps
that it doesn't mention MS Money at all, which surprises me a bit.
Perhaps MS Money is a personal use product that businesses generally
don't use (I have no idea actually)?

Clearly, the games development in Wine has attracted a significant group
of very active developers. This is a fairly recent thing; for most of
the time I have been using Wine, games received very little attention
from developers.

I can help you do regression testing if you want, but you would need to
use CVS rather than git. I tried git, and it was just too hard for me ;)
But CVS is in my opinion very easy to use for regression testing.