[Wine] Problem running applications - Newbie

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Mon Mar 6 10:22:02 CST 2006

On Mon, March 6, 2006 5:04 pm, Matías Gutiérrez Reto wrote:

> I'm new to wine and I'm running wine version 0.9.2 on Fedora Core 1
> and I have the following problem:
>
> I install any windows application from its installer (setup.exe or
> similar).
> Once installed, in order to run it I need to go to the directory where the
> aplication is installed, for example
>
> cd /root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\MiniReminder
>
> And then run the application, for example:
>
> wine "MiniReminder.exe"
>
> The problem is that when I try to run any application from outside of its
> directory it doesn't work. Or if I make a shortcut from winecfg to the
> application exe file the same thing occurs. The applications seems not
> to detect where ini or cfg are installed.

You can create a small shell script, and use that to run your application
each time, for example:

#!/bin/sh
cd /root/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/MiniReminder
exec wine MiniReminder.exe

This way, you can just click on the icon of this shell script, or put a
link to it on your desktop, and run your program.

I also notice that you appear to be running as the user "root". That is
never a good idea. Any single mistake can mess up your entire system,
because the root user has the ability to delete any files or change any
configuration. It is better to create a normal user on your system, and
use that for everyday work.

--
Anand