[Wine] Printing, Control Panel & Win3x app

deedee deedee at writestop.com
Sun Nov 5 13:34:23 CST 2006

Hi,

I've been using a legacy Windows 3x application, WordStar for
Windows, with Wine for a long time. I recently installed a beta
release of Wine compiled for Mandriva Linux (2006.0) - 0.9.22,
and a number of problems have occurred with the program.

The most critical problem is that WordStar for Windows won't print
(it printed from the alpha Wines). I get the error message: "No
printer is active. Please use the Windows Control Panel to make a
printer active."

The win.ini file shows all the printers installed in /etc/printcap
correctly and indicates that the printer (which is turned on and
local) is the default and active printer. Other programs, such as
MS Word, print correctly from Wine.

Although I have a "Windows Control Panel," it doesn't provide
anything about printers.

Another problem is that WSWin does not enter my Windows truetype
fonts correctly. It gets the font format and size correct, but the
cursor does not move over and it ends up typing every letter on
top of the previous letter.

The FIXMEs are:
fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance Untranslated charset 253
fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET
face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 00000000 file
= /home/diana/.wine/dosdevices/c:/WSWIN/WSFONTF.FON
fixme:hook:SetWindowsHookEx16 System-global hooks (2) broken in
Win16
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(4116) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(4104) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(4107) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(24) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(24) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(18) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(256) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(257) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(258) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(259) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(512) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(768) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(769) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(770) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(771) - not supported.
fixme:psdrv:PSDRV_ExtEscape QUERYESCSUPPORT(2048) - not supported.
fixme:ole:OleRegisterClientDoc16 (WSWin 2.0,Untitled-1,...): stub

What do you suggest I try?

BTW, this Wine is otherwise doing an excellent job of running a
number of Windows programs and games on my systems (all currently
Mandriva Linux 2006.0). I need the Windows programs to be able to
access quite a few large archives of user files and except for
the recent problems with WordStar, Wine has worked better (fewer
problems with the software) than Windows for running the
applications.

Thanks,
deedee
--