[Wine] Parallel port access

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Oct 31 13:45:55 CST 2006

    Ian> I have a small Visual Basic app for a prom programmer which uses
    Ian> the parallel port (lpt1) to control the programmer. It uses a third
    Ian> party dll (io.dll) to give vb direct access to the hardware. I
    Ian> cannot get wine to see that port at all. I have given myself rw
    Ian> mode to /dev/parport0, there is a link (ln -s /dev/parport0 lpt1)
    Ian> in ~/me/.wine/dosdevices as described in the user notes. The app is
    Ian> a compiled .exe file so should only need its own dll's etc which I
    Ian> am sure it has.  Running wine-0.9.24, fc5.  Can someone please tell
    Ian> me exactly what the registry entries should look like for this
    Ian> port? or is there something else I have overlooked?  Ian.

Giveio uses some kernel mode driver that finally boils down to inb() and
outb(). As wine can't load the kernel driver, no Parallel port access
happens.

Two posibilities:

- Write a substitute for givio.dll that uses the wine way to access the
  parallel port
- Write a wine layer that can load windows kernel drivers.

If the interfaces for giveio is available, the first task ins't too hard.
The second task is more challenging...

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de