[Wine] all apps are black with nvidia driver

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Thu Feb 8 06:22:06 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 12:44 -0800, Gus Wirth wrote:

> System:
> Abit KT7A
> Athlon XP1800
> 1GB RAM
> nVidia GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB
> Fedora Core 5 with latest updates
> Xorg 7.0
> Screen set to 1280x1024, 24 bit color
>
> Details:
> I have a problem where all my wine apps, including all the ones that
> come with wine like winecfg, notepad, etc, cause the whole screen to go
> black when they have the focus. However, the cursor still shows up and
> will change shape from pointer to text insert (vertical bar) when moved
> over the (now invisible) various apps on the screen. The focus can be
> taken away from the wine app by using Alt-Tab which will restore the
> screen except for the wine app, which will still be all black but with
> the border created by the window manager being visible. When given back
> the focus by clicking with the mouse, the whole screen will turn black
> again.
>
> This problem occurs with both the open-source nv driver and the
> proprietary nvidia driver. This does NOT happen with the VESA driver, so
> the problem seems to be isolated to the nvidia drivers.
>
> Tested versions of wine are:
> 0.9.24 from Fedora 5 extras
> 0.9.27 from Fedora 5 extras
> 0.9.30 built using the spec file from 0.9.27 with a slight teak for the
> change in number
> 0.9.30 compiled from scratch
>
> ALL of these versions of wine fail.
> Changing resolutions to 1024x768 or 800x600 has no effect.
> Changing desktop from KDE to GNOME has no effect.
>
> My video card is a nVidia GeForce4 MX440 AGP.
> The pertinent line from my Xorg.0.log file shows my card:
>
> (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] rev
> 193, Mem @ 0xe8000000/24, 0xe4000000/26
>
> There is nothing showing up in my Xorg.0.log file to show any problems.
>
> No other applications have this problem, only those that use wine.
>
> When running winecfg with the environment variable WINEDEBUG=warn+all, I
> get lots of warnings about files not being found but it seems that they
> eventually are because multiple paths are being searched for the same
> file, plus some warnings about fonts. The strange errors are things like
> this:
[SNIP]

> which show up right before the app terminates. Note that the app runs
> but I terminate it using the close button provided by the window manager.
>
> About half the time when exiting X after running a wine app and having
> it fail, the X server is unable to restore the console and the system
> must be rebooted to restore console operation.
>
> Any ideas where I should start looking to troubleshoot this problem?

I have a very similar setup (XP-2.6, 1 Gig, Nvidia MX440, FC5) and
running notepad works.
I do get the black screen effect you mention from things like the java
install programs.
It's better behaved when you are winxp or win2003 and worse as earlier
versions.

I have gathered from installing the same thing in wine and m$ windoze
that some windows are not drawn by my system. The MX-440 is not a great
video card - I was _given_ mine and they are outdated.

If you have reverted to the vesa driver, all bets are off on getting a
working system, as apparently Fedora have had to do some careful
tweaking to get nvidia drivers going. They have a doc up in the ether on
how to change video drivers.

What does 'glxgears' show? My system shows 11125 frames in 5.0 seconds =
2224.880 FPS, and 'glxinfo' says I have direct rendering. I will mail
you the output separately of
glxinfo > file. If you run the same and diff them, you might spot
something.