[Wine] re: Help installing application

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Fri Jul 13 09:54:12 CDT 2007

On Friday July 13 2007 11:53, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> On Sa, 2007-07-07 at 19:56 +0000, L. Rahyen wrote:
> > I recommend you to buy something from Lexmark or Epson.
>
> Many Lexmark Printing-Products does not work on Linux:
> http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Lexmark

	I know. This is exactly why I recommend to use Google to find out real-word
compatibility before the actual purchase. In fact, Epson have some
unsupported models too. And as far as I know ALL manufacturers have devices
(including printer) which isn't compatible.
	And this is may be a problem even under Windows; for example even such simple
thing like USB data-cable for relatively old phone with a camera doesn't work
at all in most major versions of Windows including XP (both SP1 and SP2).
Fortunatelly, it does work with the Linux driver perfectly.
	My HP scanner works only under Windows but its program for scanning is
terrible. And even worse, its driver even "forgot" to turn off the light in
the scanner in many cases. No matter what version of Windows you are using -
it will never work perfectly.
	I want to say here that compatibility is always an issue no matter what
operating system you are using; and of course real convenience of use is also
very important: you probably don't want "supported" device with terrible
software and buggy driver like my HP scanner.
	Fortunatelly, since I use Google before doing the actual purchase I have no
(major) problems with my new devices including printer! Just read what others
think about the device you going to buy and find out how good it is in
real-world applications. I don't say that this will prevent all possible
problems but this will save you a lot of money and time no matter what
platform you are using.