[Wine] Found the patch that breaks my app. Now what?

roboknight roboknight at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 00:47:24 CDT 2007

Okay, so I spent a lot of time locating the patch that prevents me from
moving my application, GSAK, from 0.9.16 to the latest version of wine.
 I spent a lot of time recompiling different bisected versions of wine
in order to do just that.  I even submitted a bugzilla report.  As it
turns out, it was the patch I suspected when I first started.  It seems
that the dependency on the Mozilla Active X control was removed about
06/30/06 ... That's when my application wouldn't run with wine any
longer.  It seems that patch causes some message to get passed to
shdocvw which isn't handled.  Because it isn't handled, an exception
occurs later that crashes the application.

So the question is this:  I know what causes the problem.  I do not
believe the solution is to "add the functionality back"... while I
could do that, it must have been taken out for a reason.  So the
question is this:  What now?  Does anyone have a workaround?  I could
wait until wine gets enough new infrastructure that these messages are
handled, but that seems a long way off as it has to do with the
PropertyPage interface, which doesn't really appear to be there.  There
is some work there regarding property pages, but not enough to allow my
app to work.

Is there a way to get the funcitonality that was removed by removing
the dependency on the Mozilla Active X control without "un-patching"
that from the latest version?

Running: Fedora Core 5, GSAK 6.6.3 (a delphi 5 app),  breaking wine
versions > 0.6.16, bugzilla 6151 for additional info (debug log and so
forth).