[Wine] Re: Wine runs only once per X-session

Daniel Skorka skorka at gmx.net
Mon Mar 19 00:51:12 CDT 2007

Tomi Pieviläinen <tpievila at cc.hut.fi> wrote:
>> winecfg at least probes your OpenGL setup, so it is being used in this
>> case.
>
> But it works (complaining) even without acceleration.

I' sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "it works
(complaining)".

> This was actually quite interesting test. I thought, because all games
> start
> fullscreen on my CRT and refuse to go to fullscreen on my LCD even if I
> have
> the focus there, that only my CRT has acceleration. But testing in
> windowed
> mode, I actually get better FPS on my LCD.

This is incompatible with your statement that you only have acceleration
on one head, unless your card is able to switch which head is accelerated
on-the-fly.

>> > And under the nv driver (with no 3d acceleration) and in nvidia without
>> > xinerama these problems do not present themselves.
>>
>> Which is exactly why I think that the one-head-only acceleration is the
>> issue here.
>
> If xinerama would be inherently the cause why wine doesn't work
> properly,
> why would it work at all instead of working once?
>
> More likely there is something special about xinerama that wine doesn't
> take into account, so it works only partially.

wine-0.9.24 has been the first release to include Xinerama support. What
I think is happening is that wine somehow screws up Xinerama (the NVidia
drivers might be involved, NVidia has a history of releasing buggy
drivers), and that this has to be undone by a reset of the X server.
A thought that occured to me: After you have run winecfg, and 3D no
longer works, could you make sure there are no processes related to wine
left? I.e., look at the output of ps axf and kill everything that looks
like wine.

Daniel
--
Before you post: