[Wine] forcing codepage for non-unicode apps

alex.d at hushmail.com alex.d at hushmail.com
Sun May 20 10:21:24 CDT 2007

Hello.

I've a problem running a few apps that are supposed to output some
text in Russian, but it's not displayed correctly (instead it looks
like text in the web browser when wrong charset is selected).

I think these applications try to use GDI or standart Windows
controls with non-unicode text in Windows-1251 Cyrillic codepage
and it doesn't work. AFAIK in Windows XP there was an option
somewhere, to set a "default codepage" for non-unicode apps - which
is probably what I need to make them behave correctly.

Can anybody explain how to force this in Wine (if there's a way),
preferably so that it doesn't change anything in Linux generally?
And yes, I did try googling - it handed me links to some quite
confusing discussions on this matter. LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE
environment variables mentioned in those do not seem to work (or
I'm doing something wrong). At least LANG=ru_RU or LC_CTYPE=ru_RU
didn't help but created some weird side-effects in the terminal
instead.

Thanks for any help.