[Wine] forcing codepage for non-unicode apps

Declan Moriarty junk_mail at iol.ie
Sun May 20 13:17:23 CDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 08:21 -0700, alex.d at hushmail.com wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've a problem running a few apps that are supposed to output some
> text in Russian, but it's not displayed correctly (instead it looks
> like text in the web browser when wrong charset is selected).
>
> I think these applications try to use GDI or standart Windows
> controls with non-unicode text in Windows-1251 Cyrillic codepage
> and it doesn't work. AFAIK in Windows XP there was an option
> somewhere, to set a "default codepage" for non-unicode apps - which
> is probably what I need to make them behave correctly.
>
> Can anybody explain how to force this in Wine (if there's a way),
> preferably so that it doesn't change anything in Linux generally?
> And yes, I did try googling - it handed me links to some quite
> confusing discussions on this matter. LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE
> environment variables mentioned in those do not seem to work (or
> I'm doing something wrong). At least LANG=ru_RU or LC_CTYPE=ru_RU
> didn't help but created some weird side-effects in the terminal
> instead.
>
> Thanks for any help.

I take it you're prepared to set your wine user to ru_RU, or else set it
up in the xterm before you start.

Have a look at /etc/environment (if it exists) which sets some of these
things.
Your locales will work in linux if
set LC_ALL, then you can forget the rest them. Try ru_RU.koi8r
The LC_ALL is a directory in /usr/lib/locale (i.e. the locales are
installed)
echo $LC_ALL gives you something sensible in an xterm.
If you are having trouble here, go to google, and include the name of
(Alexander) Patrakov, who is one of the world's experts on the Russian
locale issues you might encounter, and a prolific writer. You are more
likely to find solutions than problems.

I would check for windows fonts, and install ko18 fonts, and try to
persuade the windows apps to use them. Beware of scripts (e.g. xinit
stuff) which set locales so that their commands won't barf. According to
this

http://czyborra.com/charsets/codepages.html

cp-1251 is incompatible with everything that matters. I wish you well.
--
Declan Moriarty <junk_mail at iol.ie>