[Wine] Re: Winelibs question.....

AndyA wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 16 15:59:47 CDT 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> On 16/04/2008, AndyA <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>

> > So if I want to use MySQL, I guess Linux is my best bet. Another possibility is server virtualisation, but even that gets expensive, really quickly.
> >

> I may have missed something, but what's wrong with MySQL for Windows
> in this use?
> - d.

No, you might have a point there. Maybe it would work better with Vista using cygwin.

TBH I'm sick of all the products that really don't work very well. I think it's why I'm a bit miffed that winelibs don't seem to want to produce a binary that will execute from a prompt.

For me, my last experience with Unix was back in the early Nineties. All those neat simple features, just seem to have gone. Replaced by a thick layer of confusion and needless complication.

I've been digging today, and what I'm trying to work out at the moment is why "ld" won't easly be coaxed into producing a working absolute executable. I remember a platform somewhere in time, where it was difficult to get ld to produce anything but!

Seems fine through gcc, but if you invoke it separately, it's a different thing. I suspect that gcc is producing format specific "lumps" for the linker, and I think it would take me some convincing to think that it's the right approach.

Obviously I'm well off my target track now, and linux is at the point for me, where I just put up with buying Windows Server 2003, and possibly migrating to a more usable version of Windows as 2008 matures. I doubt anyone would believe me if I was to suggest that it's not my preferred route!!