[Wine] Web Forums

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 09:27:52 CST 2008

On Saturday 23 February 2008, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> On Saturday 23 February 2008, my mailbox was graced by a missive
>
>  from Markus Hitter <mah at jump-ing.de> who wrote:
> > > If I had my way I'd drop the prefix entirely.
> >
> > Please drop it. People should have learned how to properly (by
> > List- ID:) set up filters now.
>
> Please keep it, it allows keeping all the computer stuff posts in the
> same folder, sorted by list thanks to the different prefixes.

Correct feature, but hopelessly wrong reason. See this?

It's in the headers of every mail sent from the wine-users mailing list.
THAT'S what you should use to filter, not the subject line.

And this header:

Is in your mail. Your mailer has supported filtering by List-ID since
like forever.

Prefixes are useful in Subject lines if you have heaps of mail in one
folder and need to filter, sort or search by eye. Automatic filtering
should not be using this highly unreliable method.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com