[Wine] VNC 'fix' for 256 colour game only shows 2 colours?

IBBoard wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jul 6 11:02:38 CDT 2008

I'm trying to run an old (~1995) Windows game under Wine, but it requires 256 colours and won't work any higher. I've checked out the 256 colour hacks page and the X methods don't work, because I use the FGLRX drivers and they don't support 8bpp, so I'm trying VNC.

I've installed vnc-server and vnc so I can play it through a 256 colour VNC connection, but so far I can get the game to run but only in two colours. Other apps I start in VNC (e.g. Eye of Gnome) do show in 256 colours, it's just the 256 colour game that shows in 2 colours.

Does anyone have any ideas why I might be getting a mono-coloured game?

I started VNC using:

Code:
 vncserver :2 -cc 3 -depth 8 -geometry 800x600

And the log file says:

Code:
Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.2
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
Underlying X server release 10499901,

Sun Jul  6 16:50:44 2008
 vncext:      VNC extension running!
 vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5902
 vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
Failed to allocate for full set of GLX visuals

Sun Jul  6 16:51:11 2008
 Connections: accepted: 127.0.0.1::35753
 SConnection: Client needs protocol version 3.8
 SConnection: Client requests security type VncAuth(2)

Sun Jul  6 16:51:14 2008
 VNCSConnST:  Server default pixel format depth 8 (8bpp) colour-map
 VNCSConnST:  Client pixel format depth 8 (8bpp) colour-map

I'm suspicious of whether the line "Failed to allocate for full set of GLX visuals" may be the problem, but then I wouldn't have expected it to work at all if it had visual problems.

Thanks.