[Wine] Something odd is going on in this list

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Sep 28 11:09:34 CDT 2008

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:42:37 -0500, dimesio wrote:

> Beartooth wrote:
>> I read wine-users, as I read every list I can, through the Gmane
>> interface, running Pan against news.gmane.org -- and recently hit a new
>> gremlin. Supposing it something wrong with my connection or my Pan
>> settings, I asked there.
>

> For better or worse, the Wine powers-that-be have decided to irrevocably
> link both the forum and the mailing list. It has been known to cause
> problems for those on the mailing list:
> http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=1565 . Gmail has been
> recommended by some mailing list users as being good at keeping the
> threads properly sorted. Or, as vitamin said, use the forum; posts from
> the forum always appear in the correct thread on the forum.

	If you say forum, I have to presume you mean a web interface
rather than one for a newsreader. Incomparably worse, imnsho -- I do
frequent a few such, but wouldn't if I could get them on a newsreader; I
hate mousing all over everywhere, and the web is desperately slow, at
least on my browsers.

	But in any case, I'm just about convinced that there is still no
way I can run my topo software under wine and make it do what I need it
to. Not yet.

	Maybe the Alpha Plus Technoids can, and if so it's major
progress, which I'm glad to salute; but for so subtechnoid a user as
myself, ... <shrug>

	Thanks nevertheless for all the help; my gratitude is no less for
not having succeeded. I'll try again in another year or three; or maybe
CXO will work this time ...

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3