[Wine] IPX and AMD64 not mixing?

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Sat Apr 4 07:40:20 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Sephiroth <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Not trying to revive this thread, but I wanted to mention that in a last-ditch effort to make the kernel allow me to use IPX with Wine, I added my account to the root group, rebooted, logged in, and tried Wine.  Still no go.  I'd get as far as being allowed to type in a name for the server that I am attempting to create, but when I attempt creation, nothing happens.  I don't know whether that means that Wine has an issue with IPX in a 64bit environment or what, but I wanted to post about it since I was physically in the root group and still unable to create an IPX game.

Rooot is a user not a group.

The root group is just the root user's default group.

Adding a user in the root group will only give you additional
permissions on files / devices with root as their group and with
higher permission than "other".

It will not give you permissions unrelated to the file system.

You can add another user with UID 0 if you want another root user.

> It's used for more than gaming, but yeah I have a ton of games that use IPX and I am sure other people do as well.
Tons of OLD games...
> IPX is also lower-latency than TCP or UDP, but it only works on a LAN.
Many modern LAN cards accelerate TCP / UDP and some even contain a
complete IP stack on the card. ARP might cause initial communication
between two hosts ta have slight latency and might not be needed for
IPX. (I'm not familiar with the mechanisms that IPX use if the AMC
address is not included in the network layer address..)

IPX is fully routable, but I do not know of any providers providing
IPX network access, which means that it need all kind of tunneling to
run over the IP internet. (If you supply your own IPX routeres you can
build an entire corporate network on IPX...)
> I have often considered using IPX only on my LAN and using a Linux server between my DSL modem and LAN to convert the IPX data to TCP data and send it on its way, but never got around to implementing it.  That'd make hacking my network rather difficult!

It would also require that you modify all your software to speak IPX...

Or you can try this:
http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/ana19960902.html

Gert