[Wine] Printing from wine problem - loosing my hair

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Aug 15 11:29:06 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-15 at 10:24 -0500, ogardarsson wrote:
> [/quote]I appreciate that. I thought Ubuntu used Gnome rather than KFE or the
> lightweights like XFCE, but in any case the Fedora CUPS defaults are
> likely to be common across most distros. And distros using CUPS will
> have similar tools for configuring CUPS: now you know where to start
> looking.
>
> Martin[/quote]
>
> Actually I looked into the web config that comes with cups. It allows
> one to access these settings like "Share published printers connected
> to this system". It was already active.

In that case "nmap" should show port 631 as open and

sudo lsof | grep -i 'cupsd.*TCP'

should output a line or two showing that CUPS is listening for print
requests:

$ sudo lsof | grep -i 'cupsd.*TCP'
[sudo] password for kiwi:
cupsd    2625   root 13u   IPv4   13958   0t0  TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
cupsd    2625   root 14u   IPv6   13959   0t0  TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)

I trimmed a bit of space from those lines so they don't wrap. Telnet
should also connect to CUPS with the command

telnet localhost 631

Here's what I got:

$ telnet localhost 631
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

telnet>
Connection closed.

If neither of these succeed, then the web config is being economical
with the truth and your cupsd is not listening for TCP connections..

Martin