[Wine] Mappery : uncertain Thinkpads (Repost?)

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Thu Aug 27 11:17:52 CDT 2009

	Followups set, hesitantly, to gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

	I thought I had posted this to both these groups, but my
newsreader doesn't show it in either.

	I have three Garmin GPSs (an Etrex Vista and two Rino 120s),
which I want to use under Fedora 11 Linux with four PCs, and two IBM-
reconditioned Thinkpads, T30 & T42.

	Garmin software suites (Metroguide USA and Topo US 2008) are
installed on all the computers; both of them launch and run under Wine on
all six. Both of them also connect, consistently, to the GPSs from the
PCs.

	*Sometimes* they also connect to the GPSs from the laptops -- and
sometimes nothing I can think of makes the transfers work (or the laptops
even see the GPSs, for that matter). (I'm not just misremembering. There
are many waypoints, as well as a few routes and tracks, on the laptops
now, which have to have come from the GPSs.)

	The cables I have, bought new from Garmin, all require a serial
port on the computer end. The PCs have such a port, as does the T30; for
the T42 I have something that calls itself a "Cardbus to Serial Port
Adapter," which uses a little 10" cable with an ethernet plug on one end
for the card, and a male serial plug on the other, which accepts the
Garmin cables.

	My guess is that there is something funny in either the F11
install or the Wine install on the laptops, since all the GPSs and cables
work well in at least some places.

	Can anyone suggest a way to find the problem??