[Wine] Re: "Cannot Display This Video Mode"

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Jan 2 12:31:49 CST 2009

stephen wrote:
> I see a blank screen with big white text in the center that says "Cannot Display This Video Mode"

This means your video card set resolution not supported by your monitor.

In most cases this means that Xorg is misconfigured and reports to Wine video modes (resolution + refresh rate) that are not supported by your monitor. Wine always chooses the best refresh rate for given resolution.

You need to fix your Xorg config, use virtual desktop mode or override refresh rate (might not always work):

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\DirectDraw]
ForceRefreshRate=60

See http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys for details.