[Wine] Tax Preparation with WINE

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Mar 31 05:50:24 CDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 21:38 -0500, Chard wrote:
> I have contacted TAX ACT in order to remind them that the American
> Linux Community is in need of tax software which can successfully
> install and operate under WINE and that the company could gain market
> share by tweaking its products so that they appeal to the
> self-preparing tax filers opting for a non-Windows Operating System
> (No tax support for Mac either  as far as I know).

The mystery to me is why they don't simply write tax software in Java.
That way the same program would run on Linux, OS X and Windows. As a
bonus its download and installation could be completely automated with
JWS (Java Web Start).

BTW, you may be interested to know that in the UK online tax filings are
done using a standard AJAX stack with SSL encryption. I did last years'
filing using Firefox on Linux with no problems at all.

Martin