[Wine] Re: How to deal with the message: winedevice.exe has encountered

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri May 1 11:50:48 CDT 2009

austin987 wrote:

> You may be, and that's good. But _a ton_ of users aren't using the
> command line. And to be honest, we've put a lot of work into making
> sure they don't have to.
>
> It's not a buggy feature, it works fine. The bug is elsewhere, in
> whatever's crashing ;-).

Sure, whatever's crashing is a bug, but for apps that used to continue despite the crash and are now failing to work solely because of the dialog box, I'd say that's a regression. And I question how much use this dialog box really is. It doesn't tell users anything they couldn't figure out from the fact that their app never started, and they are going to have to run the app from the command line anyway to debug it any further. Windows itself doesn't give users any such message, and Wine was already showing similar messages generated by the apps themselves just fine. JMHO.