[Wine] Which native dlls can make change to program graphics?

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Sun May 3 13:32:49 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Thunderbird <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> He wants to know which dlls can be overriden. You can't use much native dlls in this area only gdiplus, riched32 but dlls like user32, comdlg32, comctl32 and so on can't be overridden.

That was a bit unclear, thanks Thunderbird.

User32/gdi can't be overridden.

gdiplus/riched20/riched30 can be overridden
comdlg32/comctl32 can be overridden, but may cause weird problems
(e.g., comctl32 will render some stuff black, etc.)

He e-mailed me privately, asking about DX7:
"Well I would like to test the following(for now):

-Giants Citizen Kabuto (demo:
http://download.cnet.com/Giants-Citizen-Kabuto-Meccaryn-demo/3000-7562_4-10054874.html
– however I didn't test it for this error – but they are there
probably)

-Operation Flashpoint (demo:
http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/Operation_Flashpoint_Resistance_Single_Player_Demo%3B13457#Download
– same as above)

Both games use DX7, and both suffer from disappearing shadow problem
(probably exactly the same bug). It would seam that this is related to
HW T&L – in Flashpoint, disabling HW T&L fixes shadows bug (but this
slows game down DRAMATICALLY – especially on modern Video Cards),
Giants are not playable without HW T&L (if I disable it graphics slows
down to 0 FPS and all textures disappear). I wanted to try native dlls
to see if this problem can be fixed that way.
PS
Tested with NVIDIA hardware."

If you can set the game to run in opengl mode, that may help.

--
-Austin