[Wine] Which native dlls can make change to program graphics?

James Huk huk256 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 17:22:30 CDT 2009

2009/5/3 Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com>

> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Thunderbird <wineforum-user at winehq.org>
> wrote:
> > He wants to know which dlls can be overriden. You can't use much native
> dlls in this area only gdiplus, riched32 but dlls like user32, comdlg32,
> comctl32 and so on can't be overridden.
>
> That was a bit unclear, thanks Thunderbird.
>
> User32/gdi can't be overridden.
>
> gdiplus/riched20/riched30 can be overridden
> comdlg32/comctl32 can be overridden, but may cause weird problems
> (e.g., comctl32 will render some stuff black, etc.)
>
> He e-mailed me privately, asking about DX7:
> "Well I would like to test the following(for now):
>
> -Giants Citizen Kabuto (demo:
>
> http://download.cnet.com/Giants-Citizen-Kabuto-Meccaryn-demo/3000-7562_4-10054874.html
> – however I didn't test it for this error – but they are there
> probably)
>
> -Operation Flashpoint (demo:
>
> http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/Operation_Flashpoint_Resistance_Single_Player_Demo%3B13457#Download
> – same as above)
>
> Both games use DX7, and both suffer from disappearing shadow problem
> (probably exactly the same bug). It would seam that this is related to
> HW T&L – in Flashpoint, disabling HW T&L fixes shadows bug (but this
> slows game down DRAMATICALLY – especially on modern Video Cards),
> Giants are not playable without HW T&L (if I disable it graphics slows
> down to 0 FPS and all textures disappear). I wanted to try native dlls
> to see if this problem can be fixed that way.
> PS
> Tested with NVIDIA hardware."
>
> If you can set the game to run in opengl mode, that may help.
>
> --
> -Austin

I must say I'm surprised, I thought dx*.dlls will be only ones related to
D3D rendering, I guess I have to test more. Unfortunately neither of this
games supports OpenGL (well there is a way for Flashpoint – I would have to
use zeckensack's Glide wrapper – it works with this game (with glitches).
zeckensack's Glide wrapper translates Glide to OpenGL. But is there a point
in trying something like that?)

“He e-mailed me privately”
I am sorry, I must have messed up something – that message was meant as
normal wine mailing list message, not as private message, thanks for posting
it. Guess I better start using forum layout instead of gmail ;]

Anyway thanks for answers – one more thing, should I use Windows 9x or NT
based dlls? Probably those from XP but I had to ask...

Best regards